New York Met (22-24) at Colorado Rockies (19-29) 3:55pm
Claudio Vargas (0-2) vs. Jeff Francis (1-4)
TV: Fox Radio: WFAN
What to watch: The Mets have turned into a train wreck on this road trip, finding every possible way to lose. Vargas pitches on short rest this afternoon. His last start in Atlanta was pretty bad going five innings and giving up four runs. Jeff Francis has been pretty bad this season as well. He’s been the Rockies ace but hasn’t had a good season. After losing the first game of the series last night, the Mets need to take the next two games if there’s any chance of staving off the vultures over Willie Randolph’s career with the Mets.
A lot happened for the Mets in this game and today:
- Willie Randolph may be on the verge of being fired
- Omar Minaya showed up in Colorado and gave Willie cautious support
- Gary Carter threw his hat in the ring to become the next Mets manager
- Marlon Anderson left the game with what appeared to be an injured hamstring
- Billy Wagner blew his second save of the season, and gave up his first earned run of the season to send the game to extra innings
- Jose Reyes inexplicably got picked off second base after hitting a double in the tenth inning
- More inexplicably, Yorvit Torrealba got caught trying to steal third in the bottom of the tenth inning; he’s overzealous in his attempt at revenge on the Mets for not signing him this off-season
- Oliver Perez walked eight batters but managed to pitch into the sixth inning
- Scott Schoenweiss looked good for two innings
- Aaron Heilman takes the loss in his second inning of work
- The Mets lose their fifth straight game
The losing continues for another day. At least Omar Minaya is in Colorado to figure out what exactly is going wrong for this team. I’m sure that we’ll hear a lot more about this when the team gets back to New York. Hopefully, the Mets won’t embarrass themselves on regional Fox coverage of the game tomorrow.
I’ll be in The Mets Report Game Chat room tonight for the Colorado Rockies game at 9:05pm. There’s plenty to talk about tonight like:
- How long Willie will be here
- Who the managerial candidates are
- Moises Alou on the DL… again
- Carlos Delgado’s problems
Join me at 9:05pm tonight to talk Mets. Click the link above or on Game Chat on the navigation bar above this post. See you there tonight.
New York Mets (22-23) at Colorado Rockies (18-29) 9:05pm
Oliver Perez (4-3) vs, Greg Reynolds (0-1)
TV: SNY Radio: WFAN
What to watch: Coming off a four game sweep in Atlanta the Mets need to get their game together in Colorado. They’re up against the Rockies highly regarded rookie pitcher Greg Reynolds tonight. The only positive is that the Rockies are playing very poorly this season, so they may be a good team to get right against. If not, we’ll probably have a new manager on Monday.
The Mets announced that Ruben Gotay was claimed off waivers by the Atlanta Braves. Steve Register was returned to the Colorado Rockies and Anderson Hernandez was assigned to Triple-A.
I’m sorry to see Gotay go and Fernando Tatis make the team. I think the Mets will regret that move as the season goes on. Apparently, the Braves felt that Gotay would make the major league team since he’s out of options.