Image from Wikipedia
Updated: March 31, 2008
Here’s a breakdown of the moves that the Mets made today to get down to 25:
- Raul Casanova made the major league team
- Brady Clark made the major league team- he also changed his number to 44
- Ramon Castro was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 21
- Duaner Sanchez was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 27
- Orlando Hernandez was placed on the 15 day disabled list retroactive to March 29
- Brian Stokes was designated for assignment
- Fernando Tatis was sent to minor league camp for reassignment
- Ricardo Rincon was sent to minor league camp for reassignment
- Nelson Figueroa was sent to minor league camp for reassignment
Mike Pelfrey gets the fifth starter spot but they won’t need him until April 12th. I would guess that he’ll get some long work in the bullpen until then to see if he can establish some consistency before they need a fifth starter. El Duque could even be back to make that start if Pelfrey continues his shaky performances from the spring.
I’m glad that Fernando Tatis didn’t make the team. I just don’t see that he adds value especially after losing Ruben Gotay. I really liked Gotay and thought he could make a contribution. He’s going to come back to bite the Mets with a big hit at some point this season.
2 thoughts on “Roster Moves: Down to 25 Players”
Figueroa was never on the roster so he was not designated, he was reassigned to minor league camp as was Rincon. Stokes was designated.
You’re right. Thanks for the correction. I was trying to quickly get through all the moves last night since I missed a bunch of news while traveling in Florida. I stand corrected.