Pedro To Start June 3

The Mets are planning to start injured star pitcher Pedro Martinez on June 3 in San Francisco. He’ll make one start for the St. Lucie Mets before joining the team on their road trip next week.

The Mets will have to make a decision about keeping Mike Pelfrey or Claudio Vargas in the rotation, and on the team, at that point. Vargas threw a stinker in Atlanta last week but his other two starts have been solid. He looks to be more consistent than Pelfrey.

Vargas could opt to become a free agent if the Mets designate him for assignment. It’s not a huge loss, but something to consider when making a decision.

My opinion is that Pelfrey needs some time in the minors to perfect his game. He’s got good stuff but isn’t consistent enough. He’s hurting the team.

Martinez Throwing In Dominican Today

Pedro Martinez waves goodbye after signing some autographs

Image via Wikipedia

Injury update- Pedro Martinez is working out today in the Domincan Republic and plans to travel to Florida tomorrow. He says that he’s ready to pitch at the Major League level now, but the Mets want him to get one start in Florida before joining the Mets. The plan is for him to pitch for St. Lucie of the Florida State League.

Read the full story here.

Mets News Today: Wilpon, Alou, and Martinez

ESPN reports that Mets COO Jeff Wilpon didn’t return Willie Randolph’s voicemail before he made his public apology for the SNY and race comments. Jay Horowitz said that Omar Minaya returned the call on behalf of Mets ownership. I think that says it all. Randolph is done, put that in the books!

Moises Alou left yesterday’s game against the Braves in the middle of the third inning because of tightness in his left calf. He’s back in New York today for an MRI. Early reports are that it’s a muscle strain and he may miss some time.

Pedro Martinez is now saying that he isn’t thinking about retiring that he wants to play for two or three more season.

Pedro Martinez Pondering Retirement

Multiple media sources today are reporting that Pedro Martinez is considering retirement. No, not because he’s spent so much time on the disabled list over the last three seasons. It’s because his 78 year old father is suffering from a form of brain cancer.

Pedro has played for 17 years in the big leagues and he’s made more than $134 million dollars through the 2007 season. He’s won three Cy Young Awards. What else is left for him to do?

He’ll be a free agent after this season and I’m hoping that the Mets don’t re-sign him. It was great when he got here in 2005 to add some life to a lifeless franchise. But he just hasn’t produced over the past three years. Did you know that his record is 12-9 since 2006?

If the Mets do re-sign him it should be for one year maximum. Of course, that would be bucking the Omar Minaya trend of signing aging players to long term contracts. I do realize that.

The Mets would be better off pursuing C.C. Sabbathia or one of the other free agents available after this season.

Pedro To Join Mets In Atlanta

Pedro Martinez threw 4.1 innings of a simulated game today in Florida. He threw 77 pitches and plans to have a bullpen session on Wednesday or Thursday in Atlanta.

Great news for the Mets. If he’s still got something left in the tank it’ll be a huge boost for the team. He’s got to be motivated to get some innings pitched this season considering it’s his walk year.

Injury Updates: Martinez and Castillo

Luis Castillo played today despite reports that he might be headed to the 15 day disabled list. He injured his quadriceps and missed two games. Hopefully, he can continue to play. If he has to go on the disabled list now it can’t be retroactive to the day he got hurt because he played in today’s game.

Pedro Martinez threw a well publicized simulated game in Florida yesterday. He had a 55 pitch workout and felt good afterward. His ailing hamstring doesn’t appear to be giving him any trouble. The plan is for him to throw another 75-80 pitch simulated game in about five days. Then he’ll be ready to begin pitching in rehab games. So we’re still looking at about three weeks before we’ll see him back with the team.