We’ve got a ton of audio for you here today from WFAN. Mike Francesa was at Tradition Field and he talked to many of the major players and coaches. Tomorrow he’s scheduled to talk to Ryan Church and David Wright which could get interesting. He’s had beefs with both of them. I’m sure the whole “Church dislikes New York” thing will be a major topic of their conversation.
Click the links below to listen to the interviews:
Dan Warthen – Note how ga-ga he is about Dillon Gee.
Ron Darling– From the Boomer & Carton show
It’s hard to get excited about the results of a spring training game but Jose Reyes went off on the Marlins today. He hit two homers and had six RBI’s. But the great news is that he’s bringing back Professor Reyes after a one year absence. I don’t know why but I loved the Professor Reyes bit. I thought it was a lot of fun.
Onto the Mets news:
- Tim Redding is still recovering from shoulder pain and won’t throw off a mound for a few more days.
- Sean Green cut the nail on his middle finger on his pitching hand. He won’t miss any time though.
- WFAN’s Mike Francesa is broadcasting from Tradition Field today and tomorrow. He’s got tons of audio clips of the the Mets that I’ll be linking to later today. And he’s trying to get Ryan Church and David Wright on tomorrow. Both of which he’s feuded with.
- Johan Santana was scratched from his Friday start due to tightness in his pitching elbow. He’ll still get five starts in before opening day and doesn’t anticipate missing any other starts this spring.
- Babes Love Baseball does their season preview of the Mets in haiku form.
- The Mets received more than 803,000 entries for the lottery to purchase tickets for the home opener.
Here are a some audio links for you with good information about the Mets off-season plans.
- Jeff Wilpon joins WFAN’s Mike Francesa to talk about the second Mets collapse, Citi Field, and free agency from October 21
- Jon Heyman from SI joins Francesa to talk about the World Series, Willie Randolph, and free agents from Oct. 21
- Heyman again joins Francesa to talk about Jake Peavy, Mets, Yankees, etc. from Oct. 23
I’ve got some more audio links to help you get through what’s turned into a longer off-season than expected.
Jerry Manuel joins WFAN’s Mike Francesa and Eddie Coleman to talk about his contract to continue managing the Mets
Jon Heyman joins Francesa to talk Mets, Yankees and the post-season action
Bobby Valentine joins Steve Somers to talk US and Japanese baseball, and the Mets hiring of Jerry Manuel
Mets GM Omar Minaya joins WFAN’s Mike Francesa to talk about the bitter disappointment of losing a shot at the playoffs in the last game of the season for the second year in a row. He discusses moves that he might have made at the trade deadline to shore up this team. And he talks about the potential to bring Jerry Manuel back again.
Neil Best of Newsday is reporting that WFAN Radio announced tonight that Chris “Mad Dog” Russo is leaving WFAN. Mike Francesa will do the show on the Mets flagship station by himself for now after the 18 year partnership has ended.
“Mike and Chris pioneered the genre more than 18 years ago and have shaped the sports talk format into what it is today,” WFAN operations director Mark Chernoff said in a statement.
“As we embark on this next step in WFAN’s history, we wish Chris nothing but the best and look forward to all that Mike will do in a role in which he has excelled at for years.”
The report says that Chris Russo is expected to move to Sirius satellite radio.
Neil Best of Newsday continues his coverage of the WFAN Mike and the Mad Dog saga. Chris Russo and Mike Francesa are doing their usual solo shows during the summer. Today Francesa said the stories of a deteriorating relationship are true, and that he and Russo haven’t even spoken this week about the issue. He said that’s telling about where their relationship is.